This career unit requires you to make travel and accommodation arrangements for colleagues planning business trips. You will have to:
- Understand the requirements of the traveller along with the budget
- Make and confirm arrangements, collate travel documents and provide the traveller with an itinerary
- Deal with any problems that should arise from the arrangement
- Undertake an evaluation of the services provided and record the details for future information.
Skills needed to organise business travel and accommodation
This career unit requires you to possess the following skills:
- Identify and confirm travellers requirements making note of any special requirements
- Identify whether there are any special requirements for travel including visa and vaccinations
- Produce and check the draft itinerary and schedule with the traveller
- Book travel arrangements and accommodation as agreed
- Obtain and collate documents for travel and accommodation
- Maintain records of travel and accommodation
- Arrange credit and payment facilities and ensure these are conveyed to the traveller
- Deal with problems that may arise
- Provide the traveller with the final itinerary and required documents in good time
- Confirm with the traveller that itinerary and documents meet their requirements
- Evaluate and maintain a record of external services used.
Knowledge and understanding needed to organise business travel and accommodation
This career unit requires you to know and understand:
- How to organise business travel and accommodation effectively and efficiently
- The main types of travel and accommodation arrangements you may need to make and the procedures you should follow
- Why it is important to confirm a brief and budget for travel and accommodation
- Why it is important to confirm access and dietary requirements of the traveller
- The sources of information and facilities you can use to make travel and accommodation arrangements
- How to keep records of travel and accommodation arrangements
- The information you should provide to the person who is travelling
- The procedures you should follow to make credit and payment arrangements
- The types of problems that may occur with travel and accommodation arrangements and how to deal with them
- Why it is important to evaluate the travel and accommodation used and record the evaluation.
You can use this as a guide to develop or maintain skills for your own career.
This career unit is based on the National Occupational Standards developed by Creative & Cultural Skills. All National Occupational Standards comply with strict quality criteria and are approved for use by the UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES).