Visitor services assistants in the cultural heritage and visual arts sectors are responsible for customer care and security. They primarily work in museums and art galleries. The work of visitor service assistants is varied, and requires some degree of flexibility.
Different jobs require visitor services assistants to carry out a number of functions. Typically the work may include:
- Welcoming visitors at the entry desk or ticket office
- Talking to visitors in order to explain exhibits. Visitor service assistants will also answer questions about the museum or gallery
- Giving tours to individuals or groups from societies and schools
- Helping with special activities organised for schools, colleges, families, young people and adults
- Walking around public areas and checking on security, cleanliness and tidiness.