In the cultural heritage sector, admission staff control entry to a venue or event. They work in cultural and heritage centres, museums and historical houses visited by the public. They are responsible for a wide range of customer service and administrative tasks.
In this role admission staff may have to:
- Take bookings and payments for tickets
- Advise visitors about where things can be found
- Supply information and advice on any special shows, events or films
- Arrange group visits and discounts
- Provide information and support to visitors with disabilities or special needs
- Sell guide books or catalogues
- Advise the visitor on how to approach the attraction or centre.
Some centres are now adopting a multi-skilling approach to staffing. This may mean that admissions staff have to be flexible in their approach, for example covering work in a cafe or shop that is part of the cultural centre.